Monday, December 15, 2008

Apocalypto


Another Mel Gibson directed movie. And again, he courted controversy with some groups over his portrayal of ancient Mayans. It is pretty good movie. I wont say great. Great movies are those you watch again and again. I wont be watching this anytime soon. Well except for the scenes with Dalia Hernández (pictured above). There is much violence in this movie. If you can stomach it, you got yourself a decent movie about a different time, set in a primitive and alien culture. In a broad sense it is a story about love, courage and resilience. But there is much happening in the background, you tend to miss out on the storyline till movie ends.

I was told that there is a lot of action in this movie. I did not find much in terms of action. I found more of violence. I know it sounds strange. For example I found "Last of the Mohicans" to be more action packed and contain less violence. I guess what I am saying is there is less in terms of synchronized fighting with an accompanying background score, which would had us in the groove. With movies like Transporter series or Wesley Snipes' or Jackie Chan's, you come out of the theatre feeling you can throw a punch. You don't feel the same with all the beheading and pulling out of hearts from live men.

No comments: