Saturday, June 28, 2008

Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister

Broadband and Bittorrent are god given tools to overcome bad programming on Cable TV. Downloaded all the seasons of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. The show is one of the most brilliantly funny series to come from BBC. Paul Eddington plays the Minister / Prime Minister while Oscar nominated (for madness of King George) Nigel Hawthorne plays his Permanent Secretary.

I have read the books too. Books are funnier. They have got letters queries by the Minister in the margins and subsequent evasive and incomprehensible replies by the Secretary etc which reminded me about my own office and how closely the series recreates the way government functions.

I first saw this series when I was 10 years old, when I did not follow English very well. But I did manage to understand some of the jokes. Saw it again years later.. it blew me away.

It is still funnier than most sitcoms that are on TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister

No comments: